Ten Fast Facts
1. The Service does not charge patients that are transported
2. We fly on average over 7 missions per week. The Service is predominantly tasked by the Ambulance Service of NSW via its Aeromedical Coordination Centre (ACC) in Sydney. The service can also assist the NSW Police and Australia Search & Rescue (AusSAR).
3. The Service’s annual operating budget is over $8M, we can’t put a price on the cost of saving lives.
4. Each year the Service relies on the support of the community and corporate sector to help raise the vital funds required to maintain its operations. The Service receives the remainder of its funding via its aero medical contract with the NSW Department of Health.
5. All funds raised within our flight area, stay in our region and go directly towards ensuring the Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter is available to respond to emergencies in our region.
6. Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter is a charity and is the operating name of Northern Region SLSA Helicopter Rescue Service Pty Ltd. (Westpac Banking Corporation give their generous support as our naming rights sponsor though do not own the Service). Our Service is affiliated with other Westpac Helicopter operations in Australia as peers only.
7. We operate 2 x Airbus Dauphin AS365 N2 Helicopters based in Lismore which are maintained by our team of engineers. The helicopters are twin engine fully equipped Helicopter Emergency Medical Service (HEMS) weighing over 4 tonne with a cruising speed of 250kmh and a top speed of 280kmh. On any day the Service provides one aircraft with a pilot and crewmember at the helibase 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.
8. We fly three main mission types; Primary (responding to incidents/collisions/emergencies), Secondary (inter-hospital transfers) and Search & Rescue.
9. We service an area from the Qld border south to Nambucca/Macksville, west to include Glen Innes and Tenterfield, and east beyond the coastline (approx. 80,000 sq. km in total land & sea surfaces).
10. The Service started in 1982 in Ballina and has since flown over 8,400 missions
To deliver emergency medical and rescue helicopter services 24 hours per day, every day of the year, free of charge, whenever life is threatened.